Friday, August 31, 2012

Getting Bella ready for school


Two days ago my daughter Bella and I had our first conference with her Kindergarten teacher. Kind of a soft meeting of the teacher and exploring the class room.  It was a great idea and also the first time I had ever heard of this.

That morning we got up and I scheduled all of the morning routine so we would be on time, clean, hair prefect, and ready to rock n roll.  I have always known this but for the first time I’m actually admitting that I’m not “That Mom” but I am “This Mom” the mom that is constantly in your child’s face fixing her hair cleaning her face off and worried about her getting dirty. Well because I am literally so anal about my daughters hair, please remember I was a hairdresser before a stay at home mom,  I spent half of the morning pleading with her to just sit down and not mess her hair up, my child could care less about this.  She is always hiding under a blanket or climbing under something, playing in the dirt coming out looking like a rag a muffin.  I refuse to leave the house with her looking like this. So the battle begins.  We did manage to make it out of the house clean and with semi perfect hair and believe it or not on time. Our meet and greet went great and I found out Bella would be starting school this week.

I come home with a ton of paper work to go over. I’m reading the student hand book with all of the rules and regulations. It’s at this moment I start to panic. Literally in front of me my daughter is climbing on our gazebo jumping off outside chairs and NOT listening to her dad and me telling her to get down and stop. I then ask her as she’s fluttering all over what are you going to do when your teacher asks you to stop doing what you’re doing? So matter of factly she looks at me and says, "Well I’m just going to do what I want to do." I had just read over the discipline actions that the school takes and now I’m really sweating. My husband and I just look at each other and silently ask, “Really?” From here on out we’re giving her the rules, what you can and can do. And then the scare tactics come out how if you’re not going to listen to your teacher you’re going to have to go to the principal and then mom and dad are going to get a phone call.  She looks at us like she could care less, then my husband proceeds with, if you still can’t listen then you won’t be able to go back.  Probably not the best way to handle this situation but hey we’re new at this and it’s our first born going to school, we’re at least trying.

So now we’ve given her the rules and I look at Bella and ask so what are we going to do at school? She says I don’t know. I pipe right back loud as can be we’re going to LISTEN! So what are we going to do?  LISTEN! And this became the song of the night.

Thursday afternoon was her first day and I’m not going to lie I cried but on our way to school I pulled out, “What are we going to do at school today?” So proudly she sings right back at me, “We’re going to listen!” That right there made my day, whether she did or not well that’s still to be determined. You’ll find out on tomorrow blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment