Friday, September 14, 2012

Billie on Love and Logics


I started counseling a few months ago and one on my issues I wanted to work on was disciplining my son. I’m horrible with following through and the tactics my parents used with me are not working with my son. My boyfriend does the majority of the disciplining in our house, he’s the bad guy but my son listens to him. So with that being said my counselor recommended I take this new group parenting class that their center was offering called “Love and Logics.” I figured it wouldn’t hurt to take this class and if it taught me one new skill to use it would be worth it.  Worst case scenario I’d be getting out of the house by myself for a few hours a week. This class is a 6 week course once a week for 2 hours.

Well if you have heard or know anything about the “Love and Logic” method of raising your kids you will know what this post is about. However, going into this class I knew nothing about it. I am now 3 weeks in and have different emotions and views towards it.

Week one:

I walked out of class shaking my head; they instructed us to sing to our children when they are being bad. The song started off “Uh oh you made a bad decision” I can’t tell you the rest because well my son flipped out on me the moment I pulled this out and I’ve already forgotten it. This is pretty much what I got out of the first class. As soon as I got in my car I called Krystal. We’re doing it all wrong I tell her, we need to sing to our kids when they get in trouble. We joked and laughed because neither Krystal nor myself handle discipline this way. Maybe this can work for kids who are younger but my son who is 7, not a chance!

Week two:

They want you to let your child make their own mistakes, and let them think for themselves. Their look on things is if you let your kids make small mistakes as children that have minimal consequences, as they grow older they will have an understanding that if they make the wrong choice that they have consequences to pay. All in hopes, that your child will not make as many mistakes, as they grow older. I had a really had time with this one when I told them how I’m struggling to get Landon to school, he doesn’t want to go.  Their suggestion for me was let him stay home and figure out on his own that he has consequences for this. If I let my son stay home one day he’s going to try and stay home every day.  Sorry but I don’t want to land my ass in jail because he’s miss so much of school not to mention fall even further behind with his grades.  When it comes to school this is not an option for me!

Week three:

Use empathy when disciplining your kids. Not to start off yelling and screaming when something happens like we would naturally. Ok ummm I am a natural “yeller” so this is going to be hard, my natural instincts kick in and my words fly out LOUD!  But to use key words like “oh bummer” or “how sad” when your child does something wrong. I can’t make any promises but I’m willing to try.

This is just some of what I have learned, what sticks out the most. The general concept is great, some of the things are working with my son and I know some will not. I have tried some of these tips and let me tell you these things have really helped me from yelling all the time. Which in return leaves our household much quieter.

My boyfriend thinks this is going to make me more of a softer mom then I already am; remember he’s always the bad guy. I don’t know. It is nice though talking to other parents who are having the same issues with their kids as I am with Landon. We can share tips that have worked for us and ones that have not.

Have you ever heard of Love and Logics? Have you or someone you know taken a parenting class?  If you have, what did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment