Wednesday, September 12, 2012

How sick is too sick to keep her home

All righty. Well we’ve managed to make it to (really) the first full week of school. Technically week 2 and my daughter is already complaining of a sore throat. She still wants to go to school but I also don’t want to look like a bad mom for sending her to school. This is something that I’m new at, she’s never gone to daycare or anything like that. At what point is it OK to send your kids to school sick and at what point do you keep them home? Obviously if there is a fever or throwing up you want to keep them home but I’ve always been that parent that if my kids are sick we’re home. We don’t go shopping or outside playing or visiting. I’ve never wanted to be the parent who lets her kids pass on a sickness to others.
My mommy instincts are telling me to keep her home because she’s not feeling well but in the back of my head I’m thinking, “No I need to send her, it’s the second full week of school. She’s getting her homework packet today, and well what happens if she really gets sick later and I need to keep her home?” I don’t want her to miss school unless she has too and unfortunately when my daughter gets sick, she usually gets really sick. 
I’ve asked her what she wants to do, and she wants to go. I’ve filled her with peppermint tea, given some cold medicine and Motrin. She’s dressed and ready to go, her hair is done, and she’s eaten lunch. As much as I want to keep her home I’m going to take her to school. I’ll let her teacher know what’s going on and if need be I will come back and get her or take her home then.
So I guess on that note: Load ‘em up we’re headed for school. I’ve managed to talk myself into keeping her home and then back to sending her to school all while I’ve written this. I tell ya these are the things that are not written in the parenting manual and we’re all out here just trying to figure it out on our own.
Now I ask at what point do you keep your kid’s home from school sick?

No comments:

Post a Comment